On February 6, 2017, the New York Times reported on efforts by former President Barack Obama and former Attorney General Eric Holder to block Republican efforts in Congressional redistricting after the 2020 Census. President Obama and Attorney General Holder formed the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, a group that intends to fight the Republican “trifecta”. The trifecta represents states where the Governor, State House of Representatives and State Senate are controlled by Republicans. The Committee’s strategy seeks to influence elections in 2018 and 2020 to put a dent in the Republican trifecta states. The Committee believes these efforts will give Democrats a better opportunity to influence the drawing Congressional districts after the 2020 Census. Given the US Supreme Court will decide several partisan gerrymandering cases later this year, the effort by President Obama and Attorney General Holder will heighten the emphasis on redistricting activities across the nation.
Stay in touch as redistricting issues remain active on several fronts.
- Haigler and Tyson named honorees for Leadership in Law Awards
- Attorney Sam Wellborn joins Sowell Gray Robinson
- Jordan, Richardson named members of Sowell Gray Robinson
- SC Bar Foundation honors Betsy Gray with DuRant award
- Meritas Board Meeting in Germany
- Sowell Gray Robinson named to 2018 Best Law Firms
- Comp Camp 2017
- Rachel Hutchens joins Sowell Gray Robinson as associate