On February 6, 2017, the New York Times reported on efforts by former President Barack Obama and former Attorney General Eric Holder to block Republican efforts in Congressional redistricting after the 2020 Census. President Obama and Attorney General Holder formed the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, a group that intends to fight the Republican “trifecta”. The trifecta represents states where the Governor, State House of Representatives and State Senate are controlled by Republicans. The Committee’s strategy seeks to influence elections in 2018 and 2020 to put a dent in the Republican trifecta states. The Committee believes these efforts will give Democrats a better opportunity to influence the drawing Congressional districts after the 2020 Census. Given the US Supreme Court will decide several partisan gerrymandering cases later this year, the effort by President Obama and Attorney General Holder will heighten the emphasis on redistricting activities across the nation.
Stay in touch as redistricting issues remain active on several fronts.
- Sowell Gray Robinson named as ‘Band 1’ firm in general commercial litigation
- Betsy Gray named among top ten Super Lawyers for 2018 in South Carolina
- Amendments to SC Appellate Court Rules
- Nine Sowell Gray Robinson attorneys named Super Lawyers for 2018; five named Rising Stars
- Rob Tyson named Lawyer of the Year for 2018 by S.C. Lawyers Weekly
- Haigler named to The State’s ’20 under 40’ class of 2018
- Montgomery invited to join International Association of Defense Counsel
- Sowell Gray Robinson attorneys write new book on legal malpractice in SC