Michael focuses his litigation practice in areas involving premises liability, automobile and trucking torts, insurance coverage, and products liability. He also has experience in handling construction matters, defending medical malpractice claims, and litigation involving administrative agencies.
Michael enjoys mentoring first-year law students at the University of South Carolina School of Law and also oversees the firm’s law clerk program. He is a member of the executive committee for the John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court, as well as the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association.
Michael grew up in Orangeburg, South Carolina, and graduated from Wofford College, summa cum laude, in 2003. He received his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2006. Before joining Sowell Gray Robinson, Michael clerked for the Honorable Costa M. Pleicones, South Carolina Supreme Court, from 2006-2008.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2006
– CALI Award in Torts II
– Real Property, Probate, and Trust Journal
- Wofford College, B.A., 2003
- American Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
– Executive Committee
- The Honorable Costa M. Pleicones, Associate Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court (2006-2008)
Publications & Presentations
- “Understanding the Tort of Negligent Entrustment and Its Application Inside and Outside the Context of Alcohol Intoxication” South Carolina Lawyer (May 2011)
Honors & Awards
- South Carolina “Super Lawyer” Rising Star
– General Litigation (2016)
- State v. Evans, 2015 WL 7075490 (S.C. Ct. App. 2015). This was an appeal from a life sentence imposed for convictions of armed robbery, attempted murder, kidnapping, and grand larceny.
- York v. Dodgeland of Columbia, Inc., 749 S.E.2d 139 (S.C. Ct. App. 2013). The South Carolina Court of Appeals held that the circuit court did not err in compelling arbitration.
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
– Safety, Health, and Security Committee
- Pineview Elementary School
– Former Member, School Improvement Council